Photos here, there and all around the town...
The house on the left was once owned by Fred and Clark Stone, nephews of Dennis Stone. Located on Grassy Hill Road, ca. 1906 one can see clearly just how rural the Town of Orange was at that time.
For many years there had been a general store in the center of town. By 1883, William and George Scobie bought interest in a store built some time earlier across from the railroad station on Orange Center Rd. William's son, Elbert joined him in the business and later became the postmaster. Pictured is one of the many postcards he produced and sold. The building still stands today as a private residence.
The Woodruff family homestead and the S.D. Woodruff Seed Co. barns were located on the small street known today as Old Grassy Hill Rd. When the town was renaming its streets in the early 1900s, Watson Woodruff envisioned this one as Woodruff Ave. Even though his proposal was not accepted at a special town meeting, this Scobie postcard of the period makes it look like the change had taken place.